The UGRA Chess Federation has sent a bid to FIDE to hold the Candidates Tournament in March 2014 in Khanty-Mansiysk.
President of the UGRA Chess Federation, V.A.Filipenko, confirmed in his letter that the local organizers “guarantee the fulfillment of the requirements specified in the Regulations of the tournament”.
According to the Rules & Regulations for the Candidates Tournament, FIDE should open a bidding procedure for the event before 31 December 2013.
In addition, the article 4.8.4 states that “In the event that FIDE receives a satisfactory open offer that covers all the necessary financial requirements, then FIDE may immediately terminate the bidding procedure.”
The proposed prize fund for the players should be minimum 420,000 euros and offered net of any applicable local taxes.
The decision should be taken at the FIDE Presidential Board.
The Candidates Tournament to determine the challenger for the 2014 World Chess Championship Match shall be organised in the first quarter of 2014 and represent an integral part of the World Chess Championship regulations for the cycle 2012-2014. Eight (8) players will participate in the Candidates Tournament and the winner qualifies for the World Chess Championship Match.
The players who qualify for the Candidates Tournament are determined according to the following, in order of priority:
- World Championship Match 2013 – The player who lost the 2013 World Championship Match qualifies.
- World Cup 2013 – The two (2) top winners of the World Cup 2013 qualify. In case one of the two top winners of the World Cup qualifies from 2.1 above, then the qualification spot goes to 3rd place of the World Cup.
- FIDE Grand-Prix 2012/2013 – The two (2) top players from the FIDE Grand-Prix 2012/2013 qualify to participate. In case any of the two top winners of the FIDE Grand-Prix qualify from 2.1 or 2.2 above, then the qualification spot(s) are given to the next player(s) in the final standings of the Grand-Prix.
Average FIDE Rating List of the 12 monthly lists starting from 1st August 2012 to 1st July 2013 – Two (2) players qualify to participate by rating (excluding the players who qualify from articles 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 above). A player can qualify by rating only if he/she participates in the World Cup 2013 or the FIDE Grand Prix 2012-2013. For the purpose of deciding the 2 rated player qualifiers, the average from the following twelve FIDE rating lists will be used: the sum of all 12 monthly lists starting from 1st August 2012 to 1st July 2013 divided by 12. A minimum of thirty (30) rated games in total is required for each player in the 12 monthly rating periods. In case of equality two decimals will be taken into consideration. If the numbers are still equal then the total number of games in all 12 rating periods shall be decisive. That means the player with the greater number of games shall qualify.
- One nominated player by the Organiser – A player, nominated by the organiser, with a rating of at least 2725 in the FIDE rating list of 1st July 2013.
- Replacements – If any replacement is needed due to withdrawal or refusal of participation, the first reserve player from the final standings of the FIDE Grand-Prix 2012/2013 will be invited. Any further replacement needed will be fulfilled from the average rating list described in article 2.4 above.
The 8 players will play a double round robin tournament (14 rounds). The players who are from the same federation will play each other in rounds 1 and 8 (if only two) and if up to four players are from the same federation in rounds 1, 2, 3 and 8, 9, 10.