GM Jesus Nogueiras first on better tiebreaks
The 25th Santa Clara International Chess Tournament, that took place on 19-28th May on Cuba, was dedicated to the memory of Guillermo Garcia, a prominent Cuban player who had excellent results during the 70s and 80s, before losing his life in a car accident on 26th October, 1990.
The Cuban GM Jesus Nogueiras added a new trophy to already rich collection, this time in his hometown, Santa Clara, dedicating the victory to beloved friend Guillermo Garcia. Nogueiras finished unbeaten with 6.5 points, the same score reached by his compatriot GM Holden Hernandez, who had lower coefficient tiebreak.
This 10-player round robin featured average Elo of 2517 points, which equals to 11th category event.
1-2. GM Jesús Nogueiras Santiago (CUB 2559) and GM Holden Hernández Carmenates (CUB 2568) – 6.5
3. GM Yuniesky Quezada Perez (CUB 2567) – 6.0
4. FM Lelys Martínez (CUB 2499) – 5.5
5-6. GM Walter Arencibia Rodríguez (CUB 2534) and GM Neuris Delgado Ramírez (CUB 2530) – 5.0
7. IM Emilio Córdova (PER 2518) – 3.5
8. IM Jakob Vang Glud (DEN 2456) – 3.0
9. IM Everaldo Matsuura (BRA 2500) – 2.5
10. IM Dragan Stamenkovic (SRB 2440) – 1.5