1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Bxc6 dxc6 5. d4 exd4 6. Qxd4 Qxd4 7. Nxd4 Bd6 7... Bd7
8. Nc3 Ne7 9. O-O O-O 10. f4 Re8 11. Nb3 Necessary for now, to prevent active Bc5.
11... f6 12. f5! A very difficult move. Pawn e4 becomes backward and Black gets e5 square for his pieces. But Lasker saw that, in order to reach e5 with Knight, Black has to play c5, which will lock dark-squared Bishop. Also, Bc8 is now very limited with space. 50 years later, at the Olympiad in Habana, Fischer employed similar method against Unziker.
12... b6 13. Bf4 Bb7? A mistake, as Capablanca pointed right after the game. Black pawns will be straightened up, but White has new target for his Rooks on d6 and Knight is storming to weak square e6. Better was
13... Bxf4 14. Rxf4 c5 preventing Nd4-e6 15. Rd1 Bb7
14. Bxd6! cxd6 15. Nd4 Rad8 15... Bc8 16. Rad1 with strong pressure along d-file
16. Ne6 Rd7 17. Rad1 Nc8 Black agrees on passive defence. Much better was c5, even if d5 remains weak, Knight would be able to get on e5 outpost. Now Lasker is doubling Rooks on d-file.
18. Rf2 b5 19. Rfd2 Rde7 20. b4! Slowing down possible counterplay.
20... Kf7 21. a3 Ba8 Prolonging with passivity is equal to suicide. White will now slowly gain space on the kingside, too. Maybe it was time for exchange sacrifice 21... Rxe6 22. fxe6+ Rxe6
22. Kf2 Ra7 23. g4 h6 24. Rd3 a5 25. h4 axb4 26. axb4 Rae7 Open a-file is of no use - there are no entry points.
27. Kf3 Rg8 28. Kf4 g6 29. Rg3 g5+ 30. Kf3 Better than 30. hxg5 hxg5+ 31. Kf3 Rh8 and Black might get counterplay over h-file.
30... Nb6 31. hxg5 hxg5 32. Rh3! But don't take pawn! 32. Rxd6 Nc4 with Ne5-Rh8 and Black starts talking.
32... Rd7 33. Kg3 Ke8 34. Rdh1 Bb7 35. e5! Everything was set for the breach. Lasker is cleaning e4 square and his Knight enters the attack with huge power.
35... dxe5 36. Ne4 Nd5 37. N6c5 Tactical justification of, now we see, temporal pawn sacrifice. Moving Rook would ran into Nd6 fork.
37... Bc8 38. Nxd7 Bxd7 39. Rh7 Rf8 40. Ra1 Kd8 41. Ra8+ Bc8 42. Nc5 and as there is no defence from Rd7 or Ne6, Capablanca resigned.