The Carlsen – Niemann case that started with Magnus Carlsen’s withdraw from the Sinquefield Cup 2022 is generating huge attention worldwide. On Chessdom.com more than 2 million page views on the case related articles so far, but 56 articles later (scroll down for a chronological list) there are more questions than answers as to why Carlsen and Niemann have this conflict. Even last night’s interview with Carlsen created more mystery and postponed the detailed explanation for next week.
Here are 10 questions to Hans Niemann regarding the Carlsen – Niemann case. Similarly, you can find the 10 questions to Magnus Carlsen here.
1. Can you state loud and clear that you have never cheated over the board in a chess tournament?
2. Is your conflict with Magnus Carlsen only based on cheating allegations or there is something more personal that the world does not know about?
3. You were very outspoken during the Sinquefield Cup, giving interviews and criticizing Nakamura’s coverage. Now during the Julius Baer Generation Cup you are more silent. What changed?
4. There is a theory that you perform much better with live DGT boards. What would you say to that?
5. If you believe in your innocence, do you think you have a case to claim defamation?
6. Do you like the role of “chess villain”? Is Hans Niemann like this in real life?
7. Do you feel more defended or attacked by the chess community?
8. There are now cheating allegations to your mentor Maxim Dlugy. What would you say in his defense?
9. Do you feel like a witch hunt can start from the ongoing case? Are we viewing the beginning of Salem Chess Trials?
10. Can this scandal lead to online chess playing platforms losing credibility in the long run?
There are certainly more questions that arise from the current case. If you would like to add a question to this list or join the discussion, head to the Chessdom Facebook page here
The timetable of happenings related to Carlsen – Niemann case: