The 53rd Annual Baltimore Open is set to take place from 6-8th February at the Sheraton BWI, 1110 Old Elkridge Landing Road in Linthicum, Maryland, USA.
The tournament will have seven sections: Championship (FIDE rated), U2100, U1900, U1700, U1500, U1250 and U1000. All sections to be completed over 5 rounds of Swiss system with the time control 40/90, SD/30 + 30”.
The Maryland Chess Association is aiming to create a pleasant environment for playing chess. Here are some of the unique tournament features, rarely seen in the other US events:
– 30″ increment time control in the top five sections → No more clock smashing scrambles at the end of the game.
– Score-based prizes → See the advantages below.
– Additional prizes for non-5-0 players who are in a clear 1st place, added to your score prize→ More prize money
– Clocks provided in the Championship, Under 2100, & Under 1900 sections → All you need to do is show up
– Minimum 1900 rating to play in the FIDE rated Championship section → Less mismatch games
– Sets and board provided for everyone→ No more carrying around pieces and a board, just bring a clock
– Free Sunday morning Continental breakfast → Relax, have some coffee and a danish before you start your game
– Texting or email of pairings to your cell phone available → No rush at the pairing chart before the round
– Free parking → Don’t worry about where you have to park your car
– $79/night room rate → Relax and stay at the tournament hotel. $5 EF discount if staying at hotel
– Shorter time controls in lower sections → Less waiting around between rounds
This tournament will pay prizes based solely on your final score. All the prizes are guaranteed. If the total pay out in the Open section is less than $1500, extra money will be added to the pay out of the top score group to bring the total to $1500.
Advantages over place-based scoring:
– Less Waiting – Your score determines your prize. Once you finish your last game, you can receive a check.
– Less Uncertainty – Your prize does not get lowered if others tie with you. For example, if there are two 5-0 players, both receive the full amount for 5-0.
– Less short draws – The total payout is always higher when games are decisive.
Detailed rules, more information and registration http://thebaltopen.com