The 2017 Mediterranean Youth Chess Championships are set to take place from 21-27th October in Chania, Crete, Greece.
This is the official invitation to all national chess federations of the MCA (Mediterranean Chess association) to participate in the Mediterranean Youth Championships 2017. The championships will be held in Chania, Crete in Greece.
The dates are from 20th October (arrival) to 28th October 2017 (departure). The tournament will be played as one single event (mixed) with multiple titles.
The tournament is being organised and sponsored by the KYDON SPORTS CLUB. The co‐organizers for this tournament are: MEDITERRANEAN CHESS ASSOCIATION, in conjunction with KYDON SPORTS CLUB, the PREFECT of CRETE, the MUNICIPALITY of PLATANIA and the MUNICIPALITY OF CHANIA.
2. Venue & Schedule
The championships will be held in the CALDERA CRETA PARADISE hotel in Chania (Gerani), Creta, GREECE
Friday October 20th Arrival Day & Registration, 19:00 Technical Meeting
Saturday October 21st 09:00 Round 1, 17:00 Round 2
Sunday October 22nd 09:00 Round 3, 17:00 Round 4
Monday October 23rd 17:00 Round 5
Tuesday October 24th 17:00 Round 6
Wednesday October 25th 17:00 Round 7
Thursday October 26th 17:00 Round 8
Friday October 27th 16:00 Round 9, 20:00 Closing Ceremony
Saturday October 28th Departure
Each federation can register unlimited number of players in each of the categories – under 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 (boys and girls). A player must not have reached his 8th, 10th, 12th birthday, etc.., before January 1st of the year 2017.
• A player registered in a lower category of age due to a mistake in specifying his/her birthday will have his/her registration suspended until rectification.
• All persons, besides the players, shall be classified as Accompanying Persons.
• Access to the playing areas, venues and the hotel will be allowed only to persons accredited by the organizer.
4. Registration and Entrance Fees
The entrance and registration fee for each event is 50 euros. The deadline for the registration is September21st, 2017. Direct registration by players will be accepted. Players may also register through their Federation if this facilitates their task. Incomplete registrations will not be accepted. All players or officials need to have a FIDE ID.
After the registration deadline, organizers reserve the right to refuse or decline late registrations or may impose a penalty of double entrance fees for each late registration. Late registration is possible only if there are extenuating circumstances and subject to organizer’s acceptance.
5. Visa Information
People requiring visas as described in the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs website should send a passport copy to the organizer in order that a letter of invitation may be prepared. For those participants who would like to get entry visa in their respective countries, they should send the following information :
1. Name, Surname as reproduced in passport
3. Country of Residence
4. Passport (Travel document) number
5. Date of issue
6. Expiry date
7. Place of work (for kids the school name/number)
9. Main activity of the foreign organization
6. Hotel and Meals
All players below the age of twelve will be hosted free of charge on a full board basis by the organisers as long as they are accompanied by a parent or authorised adult. This offer is limited to one child plus one adult only. The organisers are also pleased to offer the first twelve boys and first twelve girls to register, over the age of 12, free accommodation,also on a full board basis, in triple rooms. This offer is restricted however to not more than two players from each participating Federation. All players, accompanying persons and guests are invited to stay in the CALDERA CRETA PARADISE hotel in Chania (Gerani), Crete.
Special rates have been negotiated with the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis and are as follows:
• Double for Single use Inland View (Single), €70,00 room/per day fb (breakfast, launch, dinner) including taxes.
• Double Inland View (double), €100,00 per room/per day, fb (breakfast, launch, dinner) including taxes.
• Family Inland View (Triple), €140,00 per room/per day, fb (breakfast, launch, dinner) including taxes.
• Kids <11,99 years old are free as long as they are accompanied by one adult. (one plus one) The full board can be upgraded to an all-inclusive package (including drinks), with an additional €10,00 per person/per day. The hotel has reserved 50 rooms for participants (excluding residents of Chania Prefecture) and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. 7. Travel Information
The participants or their Federation must pay all the travel expenses. The Organizing Committee will provide transfer for all participants from Chania International airport to the hotel. The transport services will be available on 20st October 2017 (arrival) and 28th October 2017 (departure).
8. Technical Regulations
Boys and girls will participate in one joint tournament. This will give more opportunity for rating and norms. The Championships are organized as per the FIDE Rules in the FIDE Handbook. The events will be conducted according to the Swiss System, 9 rounds. The time limit will be 90 minutes + 30 seconds increment per move for each player. The games will be played using DGT clocks.
Pairings will be made with Swiss Manager Software. Pairings will be announced as soon as possible after each playing round finishes, and will be posted, on the website, in front of the tournament hall and in other key areas.
9. Tie break criteria
a) the direct game/s between the tied players (only if all tied have played each other),
b) buchholz cut 1,
d) the greater number of games with black (unplayed games count as played with white),
e) the greater number of wins
10. Appeals Committee
The Chairman and two members of the Appeals Committee will be announced before the start of the Championship.
11. Procedure Of Submission Of Appeals
• Protests against the decisions of the Chief Arbiter must be submitted in writing within 15 minutes after the end of game or publication of pairings.
• The protest must be accompanied by the payment of the amount of 200 euros as deposit from the appellant. The money and appeal must be given to the Chairman of the Appeals Committee. If the appeal is granted, then this amount will be returned. If the appeal is rejected, then this deposit may be forfeited in favour of the Organizers of the Championship. An appeal must be submitted by the player or the head of delegation.
• The decisions of the Appeals Committee are final.
Each participant will receive a certificate of participation. Winners will receive trophies, medals and respective titles. Participants can only win one title and in case of possible conflict, will required to chose according to their overall ranking.
13. Additional Rules
(a) The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.
(b) After each game the players will hand the original scores to the arbiter, signed by both of them.
(c) Analyzing is not allowed in the playing hall.
(d) During the game the players are not allowed to go to the analysis room.
(e) Players who have finished their games shall be considered to be spectators and are not allowed to stay in the playing area.
(f) Players are asked not to bring any mobile phone into the playing hall. If it is evident that a player brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. The arbiter may require the player to allow his clothes, bags or other items to be inspected, in private. The arbiter or a person authorized by the arbiter shall inspect the player and shall be of the same gender as the player. If a player refuses to cooperate with these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9. of the Laws of Chess.
(g) Flash photography may be used only in the first ten minutes of the games
(h) We assume that all the players have read the Tournament Regulations and are obliged to obey them.
(I) Only the players and arbiters shall be allowed in the actual playing area, except with the
express permission of the chief arbiter.
(j) As long as a person’s game is in progress, a player may talk only to an arbiter or with his
opponent, as permitted by the Laws of Chess.
(k) The English text is the authentic version of the Laws of Chess (which were adopted at the 87th FIDE Congress at Baku, Azerbaijan and 2017 FIDE Presidential Board in Athens) coming into force on 1 July 2017.
(l) Any matter not mentioned in the present Regulations shall be decided by the MCA Council, in conjunction with the organizing committee.
14. Contact Information
Sakis Kouvatsos (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Kleopatra Halvatzoglou, IA
General Secretary – MCA
Geoffrey Borg (Geoffrey.email@example.com )
+356-99434729 or +7-9151333670 or +971-567697927