80th FIDE Congress will be held in Greece
The ΑΜΟ GALAXIAS Sports Club is organizing the 80th FIDE Congress in Halkidiki, located on Greece’s Mediterranean coast, 80 km south of Thessaloniki Airport. The Congress will be held from 11th of October (arrival) to 18th of October 2009 (departure).
The venue of the event is the same location as last year’s European Club Cup and this year’s strong Greek Chess League. Executive Board and commission meetings will be held at Athos Congress Center. Athos Palace and Theophano Imperial Palace hotels are available for delegates, a short distance from the congress hall.
Online booking: www.eventravel.net
In a new and modern approach to the Congress as an important event, the Organizing committee is providing chess stands for the interested federations, chess organizations, companies, organizers, etc. Having an own business desk is a great opportunity to meet with delegates, councilors and visitors. The chess stands will allow direct contact and enable connections in the chess world.
More about the FIDE Congress
For any information concerning technical matters please contact FIDE Secretariat: email@example.com. For any other information please contact
Mr. Theodoros Tsorbatzoglou – 0030 231 0 865778, firstname.lastname@example.org
Parallel chess programme
Parallel to the FIDE Congress, the organizers will host international rapid and blitz competitions
2nd Open International Chess Rapid Tournament “Alexander The Great”
16-18 October 2009 – Halkidiki, Greece
1. Organizers: The chess club “Galaxias Sports Club of Thessaloniki under the aegis of the Greek Chess Federation.
2. Venue: Hotels Athos – Pallini – Kalithea Halkidiki
3. Technical Regulations: FIDE Swiss System 9 rounds with rate of play 25 minutes per player for entire game
4. Schedule of games:
Friday 16th October 1st, 2nd, 3rd round. Start of the games at 16:00 pm.
Saturday 17th October 4th, 5th, 6th, round Start of the games at 16:00 am.
Sunday 18th October 7th ,8th 9th round. Start of the games at 09:30 pm.
Closing Ceremony: at 13.00 pm.
5. Tie-Breaks: a) Direct Encounter (If all tied players have met each other, the sum of points from these encounters will decide), b) Buchholz, c) Sonneborn-Berger, d) Number of won games, e) Sum of Progressive Scores and cuts.
6. Prizes: General standing: 1st 500, 2nd 300 and 3rd 200 Euros. 1st woman 100 and 1st junior U18 100. Between tied players money prizes will be shared. In case of a player having the right to two or more prizes he gets the higher one
Cups-Medals: Cups to the 1st, and medals 2nd and 3rd; cup to the 1st and medals to the 2nd and 3rd woman;. 3 medals for the categories U18 U16, U14, U12, U12, GU18, GU16, GU14, GU12, GU10
9. Entry fee: 15 euros – 10 euros for players U14. Exception: Players with ELO above 2400 and women above 2200 free.
10. Accommodation: Available are the congress rates. Special Team Packages with discount for delegations.
11. Registration: Playing hall capacity for max. 200 players. Participants will be accepted by priority list he deadline for registration is Sunday October 11th 2009. At the moment of the registration the participants must transfer the entry fee and the 50% of the accommodation cost (free of charges) at the Organizing Committee Bank account.
12. Contact Information: Please contact Mr. Theodoros Tsorbatzoglou – 0030 231 0 865778, email@example.com
International Open Blitz Tournament (5 min)
Thursday 15 October 2009
Schedule: 7 rounds – starts at 16.00 – 5 min for the whole game
Entry fee: 10 euros: 80 % of the entry fees returns to money prizes