Strongest ever Scottish Championship is International Open
Prestigious central venue, Edinburgh City Chambers, hosts the strongest ever Scottish Chess Championships 2009 which starts today, 11th July, with play taking place every day until 19th July. One of the oldest continually running chess events in the world, this international open welcomes strong players from countries as diverse as India and Slovakia. Top ten players, in a field currently of 89, are:
1. GM Jonathan Rowson Scotland 2591
2. GM S. Arun Prasad India 2556
3. GM Jan Markos Slovakia 2555
4. GM Keti Arakhamia-Grant Scotland 2506
5. GM Paul Motwani Scotland 2503
6. GM Magesh Chandran Panchanathan India 2493
7. GM Colin McNab Scotland 2474
8. GM Mark Hebden England 2468
9. GM John Shaw Scotland 2462
10. GM Aaron Summerscale England 2454
Round 1 takes place from 14:00 to 20:00 BST on Saturday 11 July. The top 16 boards will be transmitted live here at http://www.chessscotland.com/live2009/index.html.
Check out the preview, daily reports and results at the tournament website.
See also the preview on Chandler Cornered
News by Jonathan Grant