Complete information about the top Chess Club event
The 24th European Club Cup for Men and the 13th European Club Cup for Women will be held from 16th to 24th October in Kallithea (Greece). It will take place in the G-Hotels complex (Theophano Imperial Palace 5* and Athos Palace 4*).
The rate of play at the European Club Cup 2008 will be 40 moves in 90 minutes and 30 minutes to finish the game, + 30 seconds additional time per move. The winners in the men section will receive 15 000 eur and the women winners will grab 5000 eur. For the individual boards there are prizes as well – laptops, video and digital cameras, and high technology gadgets in a total amount of 10.000 euros provided by the event sponsors.
Full information about the event, as well as statements by many international grandmasters who have participated in events in Kallithea, can be found on the official site http://ecc2008.chessdom.com/
Mr. Theodoros Tsorbatzoglou, the new Marketing director of European Chess Union and chairman of E.C.C. Organizing Commitee, shared with the Chessdom team in Halkidiki, “European Chess Union is the most dynamic chess organization. E.C.U Board is prepared to put new standards for chess events following all the principal rules in sports’ marketing. In this direction we will move starting with some innovations in Club Cup. We will try to change our image to be more sporty and attractive for sponsors and media.”
Theodoros Tsorbatzoglou and Afroditi Christou are expecting you at ECC 2008
Each European federation is allowed to take part in this competition. According to the Rules for the European Club Cup participation is open to:
* Linex Magic-Merida (Spain), the current cup holder in the men’s competition
* Cercle d’Echecs de Monte Carlo (Monaco), the current cup holder in the women’s competition
* two clubs per federation in which a national team championship is organised
* one club per federation in which no national team championship is organised
* Greece, the organising federation, is entitled to enter an additional team
* a third club is allowed to that federation(s) in which a national team championship is organised provided that at least 20 grandmasters and/or players with a FIDE-rating over 2600 have participated in this national team championship.
* one additional club for the federations which are ranked in the first five places of the federation ranking list. For the competition 2008 the federations are Russia, France, Israel, Belarus and Poland.
October 16 Arrival of participants
October 16 Captain’s meeting
October 17 Opening Ceremony
October 17 Round 1
October 18 Round 2
October 19 Round 3
October 20 Round 4
October 21 Round 5
October 22 Round 6
October 23 Round 7
October 23 Closing Ceremony
October 24 Departure of participants
Parallel events at the ECC 2008
This year’s European Club Cup will not be the only event. Halkidiki will rather turn into a chess festival. From the 16th to 24th of October there will be a parallel Chess Open. Besides, there will be the 2nd marketing seminar (18-19 October) and the Internation Chess Rapid “Alexander the Great cup” (24-26 October).
Every suite of Theophano Imperial Palace has a swimming pool