The 51st Annual Baltimore Open is scheduled to take place on 8-10th February at the Holiday Inn Columbia , 7900 Washington Blvd, Columbia, MD.
The tournament will be held in five sections: Championship, U1900, U1700, U1500 and U1200.
The Maryland Chess Association is aiming to create a pleasant environment for playing chess. Here are some of the unique tournament features, rarely seen in the other US events:
– 30″ increment time control in the top three sections – No more clock smashing scrambles at the end of the game.
– Score-based prizes (more bellow)
– Clocks provided in the Championship section – All you need to do is show up.
– Sets and board provided for everyone – No more carrying around pieces and a board, just bring a clock.
– Free Sunday morning Continental breakfast – Relax, have some coffee and a danish before you start your game.
– Texting of pairings to your cell phone available
– Free parking
– $84/night room rate
– Shorter time controls in lower sections – Less waiting around between rounds.
This tournament will pay prizes based solely on your final score. All the prizes are guaranteed. If the total pay out in the Championship section is less than $1500, extra money will be added to the payout of the top score group to bring the total to $1500.
Advantages over place-based scoring:
– Less Waiting – Your score determines your prize. Once you finish your last game, you can receive a check.
– Less Uncertainty – Your prize does not get lowered if others tie with you. For example, if there are two 5-0 players, both receive the full amount for 5-0.
– Less short draws – The total payout is always higher when games are decisive.
Championship (min. rating of 1700) FIDE rated: 5.0 =$1500, 4.5 =$700, 4.0=$350, 3.5=$150 [min $1500 payout, top score group raised if less than $1500].
U1900 & U1700: 5.0= $1200, 4.5 = $600, 4.0= $300, 3.5= $100.
U1500 & U1200: 5.0 =$500, 4.5 =$250, 4.0 =$125, 3.5 =$50. Unrated may not win over $100 in U1200, $200 U1500, or $400 in U1700.
More information on the official website