The Fagernes Chess International tournament took place from 9-16th April at the Scandic Valdres Hotel in Fagernes, Norway.
The festival consisted of five events:
– GM-group, also Norwegian Open Championship, a 9-round Swiss event for title holder and players rated above 2150 (above 2000 for women). Top prize was 1500 EUR.
– IM-group, a 10-player round robin where players can earn IM norms.
– Elo-group, a 9-round Swiss event open to all players regardless of rating. The tournament is valid for the Norwegian Grand Prix cycle.
– Fagernes Easter Rapid, a 6-round FIDE rated rapid with time control 15 min + 10 sec.
– Fagernes Easter Blitz, 9-round FIDE rated Swiss with time control 3 min + 2 sec.
GM-Group final standings (36 players):
1-2. GM Andriy Vovk 2636 UKR and GM Boris Chatalbashev 2546 BUL – 6,5
3-5. GM Erik Blomqvist 2548 SWE, FM Sarin Nihal 2424 IND and FM Benjamin Arvola 2372 NOR – 6,0
6-10. GM Peter Prohaszka 2592 HUN, GM Alon Greenfeld 2550 ISR, GM Evgeny Postny 2606 ISR, IM Awonder Liang 2483 USA and FM Erik Hedman 2367 SWE – 5,5 etc
IM Espen Lie 2449 NOR won the IM Group with 7,0/9 points.
Aleksander Lindbøl 1971 NOR convincingly won the Elo Group with 8,0 points, full point ahead of the opposition. 60 players competed in this section.